Q. Do you have any pets?
A. Three cats, one dog. All geriatric.
Q. How did you know you wanted to become a writer?
A. What choice did I have? I’m self-absorbed, terrible at talking to people, and love reading.
Q. Favorite book of all time?
A. It’s not within my nature to be able to answer this question definitively. Books I have been known to love with a mad, crushed-out stupor include:
- Martian Time-Slip, Philip K. Dick
- Middlemarch, George Eliot
- Dance, Dance, Dance, Haruki Murakami
- Tripmaster Monkey, Maxine Hong Kingston
- The Buddha of Suburbia, Hanif Kureishi
- The Three Musketeers, Alexandre Dumas
Q. Advice for other writers?
- Write what you love, it will all work out.
- But it’s probably going to take a long time.
- Don’t quit.
Q. If you were an animal, what would you be?
A. A tapir. Then I could lie around in the sun all day eating mangoes.